View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0015375MediaMonkey (current)Synchronizationpublic2019-08-30 19:24
Reporterrusty Assigned To 
PriorityurgentSeveritymajorReproducibilityalways
Status closedResolutionno change required 
Product Version4.1.21 
Target Version4.1.22 
Summary0015375: Syncing with iTunes causes music on iPhone X to disappear
DescriptionThis issue was originally reported at BAO-120-59505 , however, I'm able to replicate with an iPhone X running iOS 12.1.2, MMW 4.1.23, and iTunes 12.9.2.6 as follows:

1) Plug-in iPhone with MM running and sync
--> Content appears in Music on the device
2) Close MM, run iTunes, and Sync (note: see sync settings attached--as you can see, it's not obvious that anything is actually being synced (Music/Movies/Podcast/Audiobook sync is disabled).
--> MM-synced content disappears from the device in Music (see: directory 1)
3) Close iTunes, Run MM, and Sync
--> MM resyncs all content (as if none of the content exists on the device)
--> MM-synced content appears in Music on the device (see directory 2)
4) Close MM, run iTunes, but no sync
--> MM-synced content disappears from the device in Music (I was unable to replicate this--perhaps a test error?)
5) Close iTunes, Run MM, and Sync
--> MM resyncs all content (as if none of the content exists on the device)
--> MM-synced content appears in Music on the device (see directory 3)
6) Close MM, run iTunes, and Sync
--> MM-synced content disappears from the device in Music (see: directory 4)

iTunes_Control files shared via skype.
TagsNo tags attached.
Fixed in build

Relationships

related to 0015280 closedLudek iTunes reports corrupted device after sync with MM (iPhone XR and XS) 

Activities

Ludek

2019-01-24 11:41

developer   ~0052207

ok, so it sounds that in your case iTunes does not report the error "iTunes cannot read the content of the iPhone ..." (like in case of 0015280), but iTunes just shows "no music" on the iPod for the music synced by MM, right?

Note that this is expected behaviour when the "Manually manage music" option in iTunes is unchecked: https://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481510-how-to-set-the-%22manually-manage-music%22-option-in-itunes
Could you please ensure that you have the option checked ?

rusty

2019-01-24 18:13

administrator   ~0052214

You're right. I neglected to enable the manage music manually option :-(

On retesting with that option enabled, I found that MM syncs were working as expected. The only problem that I found was that iExplorer, which I was using to get iTunesCDB from the phone, was causing some sort of corruption whenever it was used. Here's the process I went through:

1 Connect iPhone. Enable manually manage music. Then close iTunes.
2 Sync with MediaMonkey, and close MM.
--> Directory 5 generated
--> Tracks appear as expected on iPhone's Music > Downloaded Music section.
3 Run iTunes
--> "The iPhone 'Ari's iphone X" cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54). (note: this is strange considering that Sync on Connection is disabled).
4 Attempt to browse the 84 tracks synced with MediaMonkey using iTunes
--> The tracks appear in iTunes > On My Device > Music, as expected
5 Click the 'Sync' button
--> iTunes appears to sync successfully
6 Close iTunes.
--> Directory 6 generated
--> Tracks still appear in iPhone's Music > Downloaded Music section
7 Run iTunes
--> "The iPhone 'Ari's iphone X" cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54). (note: this is strange considering that Sync on Connection is disabled).
8 Run MM and delete all tracks and playlists (interestingly, there was a playlist called 'Audiobooks' that had not been synced and didn't appear in iPhone > Music > Downloaded Music > Playlists -- not sure if that's related to the error above.
9 Deleted iTunesCDB / iTunesDB in iExplorer
10 Ran iPhone > Music app
--> iTunes CDB / iTunesDB are still missing in iExplorer
12 Ran iTunes
--> no error re. whether the iphone can be synced
13 Initiated sync with iTunes (in the hope that a clean iTunesCDB/iTunesDB would be created
--> iTunesCDB appears in iExplorer (Directory 7)
14 Run iTunes again
--> "The iPhone 'Ari's iphone X" cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54). (note: this is strange considering that there was no apparent change?!)
15 Ran MediaMonkey
16 Ran iTunes
--> No error occurred
17 Ran iTunes
--> No error occurred
18 Ran iExplorer
19 Ran iTunes
--> "The iPhone 'Ari's iphone X" cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-54).
So it seems that the act of running iExplorer is what triggers this error in iTunes!!!
20 Initiate sync in iTunes and then close
21 Run iTunes
--> error doesn't occur
22 Run MediaMonkey and sync
--> tracks sync and play on iPhone > Music
23 Run iTunes
--> error doesn't occur
24 Sync with iTunes
--> operation proceeds successfully
--> tracks display on iPhone > Music > Downloaded tracks, as expected

peke

2019-08-30 19:24

developer   ~0054480

Closing, I have not seen new reports and done regression testing in 1888