View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0016819||MediaMonkey 5||Install/Config||public||2020-07-13 20:19||2020-10-27 11:53|
|Summary||0016819: Version update notifications / improvements|
|Description||1) afaik, MM5 doesn't have a means of checking for updates manually|
The 'About' dialog should have a 'Check for updates...' link to launch the update checker.
2) Also, re. automatic checks, Options > General has an option to enable update checks. Is the supporting code implemented?
3) Afaik, the current update notification mechanism only supports a single 'current' update. This means that:
a) MM4 users cannot get an update notification for a critical update once MM5 has been released
b) MM4 and MM5 users cannot be notified of beta updates
Would it make sense for the update notification dialog to include the following options:
[x] Check for updates (when connected) [Options...]
. . [x] Current version (v5)
. . . . [ ] Beta builds
. . [x] Future versions (e.g. v<x+1>)
. . . . [ ] Beta builds
- The 'Options...' button could also appear next to the 'Check for updates (when connected)' setting in Options / General
- we may want to include the update links directly in the xml file rather than hardcoded in MM (since there are multiple links and they may change)
- This issue is specced for MM5, but it's more relevant for MM4 users who'll want to be notified of MM4 updates
- Please clarify the format to be used for versions.xml
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Fixed in build|
Per IM discussion with Michal, he'll finish this one:
1) We'll rather put this directly to the Help menu, as in MM4.
2) Not yet working, will be fixed.
3) Will be implemented, with the addition of Beta check (but not version distinction, in order to not complicate things too much).
Michal will put new version.xml (and version5.xml) description here when he's done.
As talked offline here is my thoughts about it:
"I gave some thought about it and how I see it you are suggesting something like GIT based updates work (also most MMO games/Linux packages/Android apps uses same approach) eg. to have some sort of Dropdown to select update branch (Stable, Beta, Nightly [for GIT maintained apps Sonarr/Radarr it is usually MASTER/DEVELOPER]). It could be useful to use be able to get notifications on selected branch of MM."
Example how branches are handled in Sonarr https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Release-Branches